My Happy Place

Hello world ! 

I was ridding a bus home, under a grey sky, when this post popped up in my head. It was one of those days when you are just dreaming about going away from the everyday-life, going on vacations. And you start thinking about all those great places you wish to go to.

It is usually a place you've been to in the past. For me, it is what I call my "Happy Place". A place where I always feel happy. A place I always want to go back to. A place that I miss as soon as I left it.



With the years, I discovered I have a few Happy Places : in the middle of the sea, on a boat, during a scuba-diving cruise ; in Fribourg, Germany, where one of my dearest friend leaves and Charleston, South Carolina, USA.
The two last one are my biggest Happy Places. Because I just feel simply happy and most importantly : I feel totally and completely myself.

I could go on and talk for hours about all of these places but I will just focus on one today : South Carolina. If you want to know more about the others, leave me a comment !


One thing you have to know about me is that I've been leaving in South Carolina for a year in 2013-2014, as an exchange student. I went there after I graduated from high school in my home country. I've met the most amazing people there and ever since I've been back, I miss them everyday. And the place. Once again, I could go on for hours talking about my exchange year but it will be very long. So if you are interested in a post about this, leave me a comment (and maybe questions too if you have some) !

Let's be honest, a Happy Place is never perfect. Nothing is, really. But is that true ?
There are always ups and downs, always some things that don't exactly go according to plan. It's okay. Because, in the end, it doesn't matter. My Happy Places fill me up with plain happiness. Some kind of strong feeling that tells me this is the right place to be, at this very moment.
My best friend Juliana is currently back there. She just arrived. Which make me want to go back even more. Waves of memories are coming back to me : the food, the palm trees, the sea, the people, the beach, the accent,... all those moments I spent there.
It might seems selfish or weird, but I like the person I am when I'm in my Happy Place. I like feeling this happy. This content.

Maybe, the place itself isn't perfect but I had some moments that I can say were perfect. Simply perfect. Because it had the right people, because I had fun,... Not worrying about anything, just enjoying that moment, enjoying the people I was with. A brunch date with a big group, a dinner at Mellow Mushrooms meeting new people, an evening at the beach with my former hostmom and Juliana, a movie night at the beach with friends, a day downtown, a walk in the mall,...

So, it's not just the place. It is the people, the atmosphere, the food, even - who wouldn't miss Steak'n'Shake, donuts, cookies and milkshake ?!. It is an addition of little bits and pieces, that make it what it is. That make it this dreamy, perfect, beautiful place.
Charleston, you have a big place in my heart.

Just to think about the fact that there are 98% chances I will not go back to neither of my Happy Places this summer (and so, not before more than a year) is making very sad. It's the problem with Happy Places : you miss them more than any other place in the world.





Thank you for reading, love ! Now tell me, what is your Happy Place ?

Enter your email address to follow by email : you will receive a notification everytime I post something new. Or you can follow me on Bloglovin, it's totally free.


Don't forget to leave a comment ! 

xoxo

Comments