Travel with me : Marseille

As I've said month ago, I want to share my travels with you. Last summer was full of it and it was simply amazing. First stop : Marseille.

Marseille is a city situated in the South of France, and it's one of my favorite places on earth.
I've been diving there every year for 3 years now and I'm still amaze by the beautiful things I see there. We dived in the Calanque area, which is simply breath taking.


This is a picture of the port, and the view I had at lunch everyday - not so bad, I would say

When I was a kid, I used to go with my family. My parents would go diving during the day, and I would stay with my sister and our babysitter, at the beach. There are mostly pebble beaches in Marseille. The water is warm, the people are welcoming - I made lots of friends as a kid.

Now that I'm into diving as well, we love going there with my dad to dive. We do 2 dives a day. Go to the diving center early in the morning, get everything ready, get on the boat and in we go. Usually, diving takes about 45 minutes, sometimes more. We then go back to the diving center, eat, rest and wait to go back on the boat, back to the sea. This was basically our routine for a week. 
This time was different, we were with a group of around 10 people. All friends, or new ones. We had a good atmosphere between all of us.


We stayed at the Hotel Ibis, near the shopping mall "Bonneveine". The hotel is nice, pretty cheap. We had breakfast there and a dinner twice. We were a bit disappointed with the service in the restaurant. It was student and they did mess the order up a little. As well as the bill in the end. But the food was good. 

One evening, we decided to eat out. We picked the restaurant "La Baie des Singes". They served mostly fish and a selection from the "Catch of the day", but if you're not into fish, you will find something you like. Although, it's always best to try the fish... Since, you know, it's very fresh.
As starter I took a goat cheese toast with fig. It was amazing ! As mean course I picked some fish with a safran sauce. For someone who is not crazy of fish, I loved it. 
The fish of the day is usually quite expensive. It isn't a cheap restaurant... But man, the view alone is worth it !
Be aware, however, that it is not easy to access. You have to walk through a rocky way, and when you leave, if it's dark, you might want to use a flashlight !




One thing about Marseille is that it can get very windy. When the "Mistral" comes in, it's mostly impossible to go diving ! 
Of course, it happens when we go there (talk about bad luck). So, when at the diving center, we were told it was too dangerous to dive, we decided to take a walk around the city, come back later to see if it had calmed down.

We visited the other side of the port, had a drink at a terrasse, and walked up Notre-Dame de la Garde, a beautiful cathedral, with a stunning view over the whole city. And because a pictures speaks thousand words (something like that), here are a few.
The sea calmed down after lunch so we got to do one last dive before heading back to Belgium.

Overall, I've had a great week in Marseille. I even got to do some shopping (that's part of a trip obviously). I love the weather there : not too hot, not too cold. People are nice, the Calanque are stunning and there are so many amazing view point... It's a Must-seen really ! 

Sadly, I won't go back this summer and I will miss it a lot. It's a peacefull city and I feel great when I'm there. I hope I can go back soon !


Have you ever been to Marseille ? Would you like to visit ? Tell me everything ! 

Comments